Donate to GEFCCBefore Greater Elgin Family Care Center, there was a Free Clinic supported by Sherman and St. Joseph’s Hospital which provided primary care services to Elgin's low-income families. This clinic operated out of several different locations, including the basement of a local church, in a storefront on State Street in Elgin, and in the Community Crisis Center.
In 1998, a group of local stakeholders and organizations, known as the Community Task Force 2000, came together to access and address the health care needs of Elgin's low-income community. The goal was to provide needed primary care services to Elgin residents and minimize the burden on the local hospitals, which were seeing patients in their Emergency Rooms for non-emergency needs. The solution to this problem was to create a Community Health Center, or Federally Qualified Health Center, that would provide quality and affordable health care to all, including those who didn't have the ability to pay. As a result, Greater Elgin Family Care Center (GEFCC) was born.
In 2002, GEFCC applied to become a Federally Qualified Health Center and as a result of a successful application, we began receiving support from the Bureau of Primary Health Care as a Community Health Center. While originally created to serve the Elgin community, over the years we have successfully expanded to serve over 47 municipalities in Illinois. We provide comprehensive, patient-centered medical, dental and behavioral health care to almost 47,000 patients annually through 9 full-time Health Center locations and many local schools.
We believe that everyone deserves access to high-quality, affordable, health care that is delivered with respect by compassionate and qualified professionals. We have a commitment to improve the quality of care we provide and the health of our patients. It is this commitment that led us to pursue the accreditation by The Joint Commission and Certification as a Primary Care Medical Home. Because of our Primary Care Medical Home status, our patients benefit from having access to an interdisciplinary team of medical, dental, and behavioral health providers, all working in partnership with the patient to improve their quality of life and that of their families.
We work to eliminate any barriers that may keep our patients from accessing services. We do this through the provision of 24-hour access to providers, comprehensive care management, assistance with transportation costs, access to reduced-price pharmaceuticals, on-site laboratories, same and next-day appointment, bilingual staff and comprehensive translation services.
Your support during Giving Tuesday will enable us to continue providing these needed services to all our patients.
- Greater Elgin Family Care Center (GEFCC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization serving the medically uninsured, underinsured and publicly insured residents of Elgin, DeKalb, Sycamore, Streamwood, Wheeling and McHenry, IL and surrounding communities.
- GEFCC is a Federally Qualified Health Center which, in the most-recent 12 month period, provided a full range of quality, affordably-priced primary care services to over 47,000 different persons via over 158,000 medical and dental appointments.
- Due to the significant demand for our services and our mission to meet that need, GEFCC will accept a variety of tax-exempt donations including monetary contributions, services and equipment.
- If you are interested in making a charitable contribution to Greater Elgin Family Care Center, please call (847) 608-6068. You may also donate to GEFCC through PayPal by clicking on the link below. PayPal is an easy, fast & secure way to make a donation!
SupportersGreater Elgin Family Care Center is honored to have recently received charitable contributions from the following individuals and organizations:
- Donna Anderson
- Anonymous (x3)
- Paul Bednar
- Azra Behlim
- Thomas Bober
- Dennis F. Cardiff
- Nicholas Demorest
- Craig Dodt
- Linda D. Drawhorn
- Deborah Jeanne Everett
- V. Guadalupe Fonseca
- Chioma George
- Tim Gifford
- Brian L. Heimberg
- Daniel L. Helsdon
- Joan Kanute
- Nimra Khan
- Frederick Landwer
- Brett Lundstrom
- Miriam A. Lytle
- Dianna Manjarrez
- Aaron Method
- Nancy L. Schueneman
- Michael G. Shales
- Stanislawa Staniszewska
- Mr. and Mrs. Marc Steinman
- Kyle Smith
- Robert M. Tanner
- Beth Tze
- Advocate Health Care
- Altrusa International Elgin IL Foundation, Inc
- The Auxiliary of Advocate Sherman Hospital
- Clean Express, Inc.
- Dunkin’ Donuts, Dundee Road, Wheeling
- First Presbyterian Church of Elgin
- Gerry and Bill Cowlin Foundation
- Northwest Community Healthcare
- Sam’s Club, Wheeling
- Sunstar Americas, Inc.
- Target, Wheeling