2017 data released by the Bureau of Primary Health Care demonstrates that, once again, Greater Elgin Family Care Center’s outcomes are far better than most community health centers (CHC) on an array of clinical, financial and operational indicators.
The UDS Summary and Health Center Profile Reports, released August 22, 2018 by the Department of Health and Human Services/Health Resources and Services Administration, offers the clinical and financial performance outcomes of Greater Elgin Family Care Center (GEFCC), comparing them to State of Illinois and National community health center averages.
GEFCC’s 2017 outcomes on these indicators have again been recognized as among the best of all Federally Qualified Health Centers in the United States and Illinois – for the 5th year in a row – as GEFCC was again nationally recognized as a Health Center Quality Leader. GEFCC also received the prestigious Advancing Health Information Technology for Quality award, in recognition of GEFCC’s comprehensive use of integrated HIT, both internally and through interoperable IT communication systems with external collaborating organizations. Also awarded to GEFCC was the Primary Care Medical Home Recognition and Electronic Health Record Reporter awards.
Health Outcome Indicators
Greater Elgin Family Care Center’s Health Care outcomes beat the Illinois average on 13 of 16 indicators:
- Access to Prenatal Care
- Weight Assessment & Counseling for Nutrition & Physical Activity for Children/Adolescents
- Body Mass Index Screening and Follow-Up
- Tobacco Use Screening and Cessation Intervention
- Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Depression Screening and Follow-Up
- Cervical Cancer Screening
- Dental Sealants for Children between 6-9 Years
- Use of Appropriate Medications for Asthma Treatment
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD): Lipid Therapy
- Ischemic Vascular Disease (IVD): Use of Aspirin or Another Antithrombotic
- Controlling High Blood Pressure
- Diabetes: Hemoglobin A1c Poor Control
GEFCC performed 3% less than the State average on the percent of babies born with a Low Birth Weight and 9% less than the State average on Childhood Immunization Status. GEFCC was not scored on HIV Linkage to Care because of GEFCC’s low volume of care provision to persons diagnosed with HIV.
Financial Outcome Indicators
GEFCC’s Financial Outcomes also beat the Illinois average on every Financial Indicator, meaning that GEFCC provides quality health care at a low cost:
- GEFCC’s medical cost per medical patient is 33% lower than the State CHC average and 38% less than the National CHC average
- GEFCC’s medical cost per medical visit is 29% lower than the State CHC average and 40% lower than the National CHC average
- GEFCC’s total cost per total patient is 34% less than the State average and 48% less than the National CHC average
- GEFCC’s total cost per total visit is 24% less than the State average and 37% less than the National CHC average
- GEFCC’s dental cost per dental care visit is 27% less than the State average and 41% less than the National average
Operational Outcome Indicators
The 2017 Report also indicates that the volume of care provided by Greater Elgin Family Care Center practitioners is rapidly growing:
- GEFCC’s growth rate in Total Number of Patients Served in 2017 versus 2016 is double the Illinois average
“The data continues to indicate that patients can come to GEFCC and know that they will receive high quality, affordable care from their primary care practitioner” stated GEFCC President/CEO Bob Tanner. “GEFCC is a tremendous value for payers, stakeholders and patients. Thanks to the collective efforts of our Board and employees, it is clear that Greater Elgin Family Care Center’s integrated health care service delivery system improves the health outcomes of our patients at a very low cost” said Tanner.
Greater Elgin Family Care Center is a non-profit Community Health Center which provided care to almost 50,000 different people via over 160,000 appointments in Fiscal Year 2018. GEFCC offers care in 7 full-time Health Centers in 5 Chicagoland Counties, as well as in multiple schools, 2 part-time Health Centers and in a variety of community-based locations on an episodic basis. GEFCC remains Accredited and Certified as a Primary Care Medical Home by The Joint Commission.