2016 data released by the Bureau of Primary Health Care demonstrates that, once again, Greater Elgin Family Care Center’s outcomes are far better than most community health centers (CHC) on an array of clinical, financial and operational indicators.
The UDS Summary and Health Center Profile Reports, released August 15, 2017 by the Department of Health and Human Services/Health Resources and Services Administration, offers the clinical and financial performance outcomes of Greater Elgin Family Care Center (GEFCC), comparing them to State of Illinois and National community health center averages.
GEFCC’s 2016 outcomes on these indicators have again been recognized as among the best of all Federally Qualified Health Centers in the United States and Illinois – for the 4th year in a row – as GEFCC was again nationally recognized as a Health Center Quality Leader and Clinical Quality Improver!
Health Outcome Indicators
Greater Elgin Family Care Center’s Health Care outcomes beat the Illinois average on 14 of 15 indicators:
- Access to Prenatal Care
- Low Birth Weight
- Weight Assessment & Counseling for Nutrition & Physical Activity for Children/Adolescents
- Body Mass Index Screening and Follow-Up
- Tobacco Use Screening and Cessation Intervention
- Colorectal Cancer Screening
- Depression Screening and Follow-Up
- Cervical Cancer Screening
- Dental Sealants for Children between 6-9 Years
- Use of Appropriate Medications for Asthma Treatment
- Coronary Artery Disease (CAD): Lipid Therapy
- Ischemic Vascular Disease (IVD): Use of Aspirin or Another Antithrombotic
- Controlling High Blood Pressure
- Diabetes: Hemoglobin A1c Poor Control
GEFCC performed 6% less than the State average on Childhood Immunization Status. GEFCC was not scored on HIV Linkage to Care because of GEFCC’s low volume of care provision to persons diagnosed with HIV.
Financial Outcome Indicators
GEFCC’s Financial Outcomes also beat the Illinois average on every Financial Indicator, meaning that GEFCC provides quality health care at a low cost:
- GEFCC’s medical cost per medical patient is 21% lower than the State CHC average and 32% less than the National CHC average
- GEFCC’s medical cost per medical visit is 29% lower than the State CHC average and 37% lower than the National CHC average
- GEFCC’s total cost per total patient is 23% less than the State average and 41% less than the National CHC average
- GEFCC’s total cost per total visit is 32% less than the State average and 47% less than the National CHC average
- GEFCC’s dental cost per dental care visit is 35% less than the State average and 47% less than the National average
Operational Outcome Indicators
The 2016 Report also indicates that the volume of care provided by Greater Elgin Family Care Center practitioners is rapidly growing:
- GEFCC’s growth rate in Total Number of Patients Served in 2016 versus 2015 is 4 X the Illinois average, and 2X the National average
- GEFCC’s growth rate in number of Medical Patients Served in 2016 versus 2015 is 10 X that of the Illinois average and 2X the National average
- GEFCC’s growth rate in number of Dental Patients Served in 2016 versus 2015 is twice that of the State and National average
“The data continues to indicate that patients can come to GEFCC and know that they will receive quality, affordable care from their primary care practitioner” stated GEFCC President/CEO Bob Tanner. “The data also indicates that GEFCC is a tremendous value for payers and patients. Thanks to the collective efforts of our Board, employees and many collaborating organizations, it is clear that Greater Elgin Family Care Center improves the health outcomes of our patients and a very low cost” said Tanner.
Greater Elgin Family Care Center is a non-profit Community Health Center which provided care to almost 47,000 different people via almost 159,000 appointments in Fiscal Year 2017. GEFCC offers care out of 9 full-time Health Centers in 4 Chicagoland Counties, and is Accredited and Certified as a Primary Care Medical Home by The Joint Commission.